- Ovenden Papers was established in 1943 and after nearly 75 years we still pride ourselves on being a family run and independent business.
- Like the vast majority of customers our main strength is our independence, we believe this best equips us to react to the ever-changing needs of the market place.
- As a leading member of AIMS, Ovenden’s has access to some of the worlds leading paper manufacturers which allows us to competitively source high quality products from first class suppliers.
- Ovenden’s and the AIMS purchasing group successfully combines the scale of a national operation with the high level of personal local service needed to meet specific local needs.
- We hope you find this website of use and look forward to a long and successful partnership
- Ovendens….more than just paper.
Our Proud History
- Everard Ovenden & Co Ltd was founded in 1943 by Frank Ovenden and Stanley Everard.
- Situated in High Holborn London a great family tradition started when Frank’s son Neville joined the company and was made a Director in 1956.
- The company then relocated to Corsham Street North London where it traded until moving to a larger site in Epping in 1968 where it expanded over the next 40 years.
- Through Neville’s strong links with football and Leyton Orient F.C. The names Everard Ovenden and Ovenden Papers were seen behind the goals at many football league grounds including Wembley.
- In 1987 the Everard family were bought out and shortly afterwards the company was renamed Ovenden Papers Ltd.
- During the 80’s, 90‘s and early 00’s the company was run by Michael Ovenden (MD with 33 years service), Neville’s oldest son and Joe Hayward, (SD with 41 years service). This solid partnership was the bedrock of Ovendens success over this period. Sadly both Joe and Michael passed away in 2004 and 2007.
- One of the biggest moves made by the company was the purchase of London based merchant: Davies, Harvey and Murrell in 2005.
- In December 2012 the business moved to its new home in Harlow. A 94,000 sq ft logistics centre probably the largest independent paper merchant facility in the South of England.
- Today Nigel Ovenden, (Neville’s youngest son) heads the family business as the Chairman/Joint Managing Director with 35 years service along with James Ovenden, (Michael’s son) as Joint Managing Director with 20 years service.
- The board members include Nick Blackham-Hayward, (Joe’s oldest son) as Operations Director with 27 years service and Alison Edwardson-Gilchrist as Financial Director with 7 years service.
- We are also very proud of our loyal staff. Many who have been with us for much of their working life.
- Our paper knowledge is paramount and supported by half of our staff completing over 15 years service.
- Ovenden Papers Ltd – Over 70 years in the making and still going strong.
- Ovendens….more than just paper.
AIMS – *Associated, Independent, Merchant, Stockists*
- Since its formation in 1982, AIMS has evolved into the UK’s largest independent merchant consortium.
- Located throughout the UK, AIMS consists of 10 of the country’s leading Independent Paper Merchants.
- Today we are proud to name some of the world’s leading paper manufacturers amongst our chosen suppliers. It is this fact which best illustrates our commitment to freedom of choice for our customers.
- Utilising the combined resources and expertise of our member companies, AIMS provides the complete answer to every customers needs and at the same time ensures the reliable personal service synonymous with an Independent Merchant.
- “Progress through Partnership and Strength through Independence”.